Subscribe today!Subscribe today to receive free email alerts containing hunting information you can use and notifications about prize package giveaways! You will receive an email you must click to confirm to be entered as a subscriber. Click this button and confirm to be a part of the Bowhunting Road family!
Needless to say, it’s been fairly slow on my end. One of my best seasons ever, is far behind in ...
Here’s a review of the boots I used this past season. These are the Lacrosse Aerohead 7.0mm neoprene boots. I ...
In a normal winter across the Midwest, I estimate that approximately 80% of the bucks will shed their deer ...
The snow is piling up on my deck I hoped to go predator calling today but it was cold, snowy and ...
- A comedy of mistakes, Part 1 I had three very entertaining turkey hunts last week that should've ended with success. As I look back on them, it humors me to think that I had a tom ...READ MORE
- The long winter is over! Scouting on bare ground has begun! Well, most of the snow is gone here in the northeast. Hit the woods for the first time since it started snowing in February. I have been spending a lo ...READ MORE
- Ohio Approved Hunting Regulations 2015-16 By now, everyone should pretty much be well into Spring and feeling the much anticipated segue into Summer. With Spring comes many unwelcomed changes ...READ MORE
- Turkey season has begun The Iowa turkey season began on Monday. I have an archery license which allows me to hunt during each of the four seasons over the next month. I've be ...READ MORE
- The bears are here! Look at this giant. The first bear of the year has appeared at my place and he is a big one. I put a barrel with some pastries and fruit in it out behind my garage with ...READ MORE
- Season’s Agenda Needless to say, it's been fairly slow on my end. One of my best seasons ever, is far behind in the rearview. But, that does not mean I'm not thinking ...READ MORE
- Easter tree plantings I've started a tradition of planting a tree on Easter with my daughter to remember the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. This year, I orde ...READ MORE
- Illinois public hunting resource Here is an excellent resource for finding public land to hunt in Illinois. Click here: INTERACTIVE PUBLIC LAND MAP
- A whirlwind trip While most of you know I make my living as an outdoor writer specializing in bowhunting magazine and internet articles, you may not know that about 20 ...READ MORE
- Video: Trail camera avoidance In part 2 of this video series I look at the differences between the white flash videos versus infrared and black flash video. As you watch this video ...READ MORE
About the Bowhunting Road
The website you are viewing began as a blog about the hunting adventures of Bernie Barringer, a well-travelled bowhunter. It has grown into a full website with more bloggers and a lot of resources and information for the archer who travels beyond the borders of his/her home state to hunt.
Not only do we provide you with great daily commentaries about where and when we are hunting, but we also provide you with a lot of information to help you follow your own dreams of bowhunting in new and exciting places. Spend some time looking around, and be sure to subscribe for updates and a chance to win one of many great prizes. Thanks for following us on the Bowhunting Road, and I trust you will see that being a regular here will add a lot to your knowledge of how to put more game on the ground!
Jon and Sarah
We are very excited to be team members of The Bowhunting Road.com Sarah and I met in 1996. I was working as a natural resource aide in a Iowa state park. While patrolling the park after the 10:30 PM closing time, I located Sarah and friends in the park after hours. The rest is history. While I was pursuing a career in natural resources, Sarah was completing her college education at Southern Illinois/Carbondale.
Bernie began bowhunting in 1973 as a 14-year-old. This became a lifelong addiction. For more than 40 years, he has pursued small game, whitetails and bears across the Midwest, but he is expanding his experiences to include other species in other parts of North America.
I love to hunt whitetails! Whether it be chasing whitetails around the woods of Maine or sitting on a cornfield in the midwest, I am doing what I love. When it comes to hunting, they are what drives me. I have all but given up most of my other hobbies, directing most of my efforts towards bowhunting these majestic animals.
I was not necessarily brought up in a whitetail or hunting environment. Living in South Florida amongst tourist and urban sprawl wasn’t the ideal hunting sportsman’s paradise. But luckily, my Dad was able to introduce my brother and me to the outdoors whether it was hunting the vast Central Florida forest or shiner fishing the Ocklawaha River for largemouth bass, it was ultimately ingrained into my childhood and carried later into my adult years.